Hong Kong is my home town and I don’t go often enough. My kids have gone with me a few times and it is always a new and different experience for them. My parents completely spoiled them with cash and gifts, they get to try all kinds of asian cuisine, and there’s no shortage of theme park excitement including Disney. Here are some of my favorite places to take the kids.
1. Star ferry and Victoria peak - You can take the ferry from Kowloon to Hong Kong. The ferry has been running for over 100 years! The view is amazing and it is a great way to see Hong Kong. From there we went to the tram station to get to the viewing tower of Victoria peak. If you are craving american food the pizza restaurant on the top floor of the viewing tower is quite good.
2. Hong Kong Mid Level Escalators - this is the longest escalators in the world. It is combined by 15 sections of escalators (according to my kids as they are the one counting). It could be a hazard if you have very young children but my kids love it. The walk back down is wonderful on cobble stone stairs lined with boutiques and coffee shops.
3. Ocean Park - I grew up going to this amusement park. It has a zoo with Pandas and all other kind of animals. There’s also an Aquarium where you can see penguins and sharks. The boys and I had a wonderful day here.
4. Hong Kong history museum and science museum - They are right next to each other. I find the Hong Kong history museum fascinating and the boys love the science museum. It’s a great place to be on a rainy day.
5. Markets - Hong Kong is full of different kinds of market. Our favorite is the Sham Shui Po Market. It has so many toys (all inexpensive), electronics and street food galore. The boys beg me to go every day.
I hope you find this helpful when you visit. Please let me know when you go!